Fire & Security

Am I covered designing systems for my clients?

Design work wouldn’t be covered under a standard liability policy, for this you will need to obtain Professional Indemnity insurance (PII). This covers you against negligence for your designs failing or advice you have given to customers about their Fire & Security work.

What if my work fails to operate after I have installed it causing a loss to my client?

If you have installed a system that fails to operate i.e. an fire alarm, a standard public liability policy wouldn’t cover you for claims made from your clients leaving you to liable to the costs incurred.

One way to protect yourself from this is having an Inefficacy cover included as part of your policy. You typically will get this from specialist Fire & Security Insurers who include cover as standard on their specialist Fire & Security insurance.

What if I injure someone whilst conducting training?

If you unfortunately injure someone as a result of your training then most insurance covers will exclude this, however you can get specialist cover that will include full cover for any claims made against you.

Make sure you check your documents or ask your broker if you are conducting any training.

You will also need to consider Professional Indemnity cover also to protect against claims against your advice and training. This can usually be bolted onto the main policy as an option extension.

What if I contract/use other Fire & Security contractors to help me on a job?

If you subcontract another Fire & Security Contractor onto some work you are doing then they are defined as either

  1. Labour Only Electricians – This means they do not have their own insurance in place and effectively are deemed an employer of yours from and Employers Liability point of view
  2. Bona Fide Electricians – This means they have their own insurance in place, however should this insurance fail the claim will be made against your policy. Also, watch out for a condition on your policy that states that the bona fide contractor must have the same limit of indemnity as you. So if you have £5m Public Liability Insurance (PL) as your contractor to show you evidence they have the same limit.

We’re here to help

We’re here to help and answer any questions you may have. Get in touch today to discuss how we can help make you risk resilient and provide financial wellbeing.

covid-19 pdf cover

The Guide to Risk Resilience During COVID-19

We’ve put together a handy guide to help give you some clarity during this uncertain time. Click the link below to access the guide as a free download and get in touch today to speak to one of our friendly advisors.