Tradesman can mean a variety of different things. You might be doing landscape gardening, handyman work, roofing, plumbing, electrics or all of these.

Do I need liability insurance?

The only liability you are required by law to have is employer’s liability, however should you cause damage to property, cause injury and/or death as a result of your work you could be personally liable. We always recommend you have public liability in place.

To find out more see the Association of British insurers guide to public liability.

What if I have more than one trade?

Whether you are a jack of all trades or a master of one, you can cover one or multiple trades on one insurance policy. This ensures you can spread your skills across a number of disciplines.

What limits of liability can I have?

Typically, standard policy covers are £1m, £3m or £5m but we can go up to £10m for most trades.

What if I have someone working for me?

First you need to work out if they are an employee or a contractor using the HMRC guide.

If they are an employee (and/or volunteer) then you are required to have employer’s liability insurance in place.

Can I cover my business equipment and tools?

Tools and business equipment can be covered on most polices as an optional extra. Policies may exclude cover whilst tools are left unattended in a vehicle and the value of the tools if they are stolen/damaged may be less due to wear and tear.

We’re here to help

We’re here to help and answer any questions you may have. Get in touch today to discuss how we can help make you risk resilient and provide financial wellbeing.

covid-19 pdf cover

The Guide to Risk Resilience During COVID-19

We’ve put together a handy guide to help give you some clarity during this uncertain time. Click the link below to access the guide as a free download and get in touch today to speak to one of our friendly advisors.