Van to Camper – Renovation Insurance

Thinking of converting a van into a camper van for the ultimate staycation this year? Here are our top tips for making sure you have the correct insurance in place.

When does a van become a motorhome?

The government has set out enforced criteria when your van needs to be classified as a motorhome:

  • At least one bed with a minimum length of 6 feet or 1800mm. This can be converted at night from seats used for other purposes during the day, but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle (can be made up from other fixed seats within the vehicle).
  • There must be a permanently enclosed fixed means of storage, i.e. wardrobe(s),

cupboard(s) or locker(s).

  • Permanent fixed water installation to be connected to a fixed water storage tank

or container.

  • Seating arrangements for diners to sit at a table (table may be detachable but

must have permanent means of attachment to the vehicle).

  • Sketch showing the floor plan of the vehicle’s interior.
  • Fixed cooking or heating facility powered by gas or electricity (installation must

have an engineer’s report and/or electricity and gas to be certificated, and in the event of a claim or audit a certificate must be provided).

  • Vehicle to be registered as a motorcaravan with the DVLA and have an updated V5C, which MUST be available to supply in the event of a claim or audit.
  • A door that provides access to the living accommodation.
  • A minimum of one window on each side of the habitation part of the vehicle.

It’s no longer a van!

Your V5C will need to be altered as such so will your insurance as your van is not

classified as would a standard camper or motorhome.  As a motorhome, it will need to comply with the Road Traffic act and have at least third-party insurance cover.

Insurers will want to know about all the modifications

Whether you have put in a thermal spa, wood burner, or simply an open plan living kitchen, insurers will want to know what you have put in place, firstly to ensure there are no issues with the cover and secondly so that they can insure the value of the renovations.

What if it’s a bit unusual?

Insurers will normally look at each conversion on a case-by-case basis. They would normally ask for at least 5 photos to see the conversion.

  • one showing the front 
  • one of the side of the vehicle with the number plates in full view
  • one showing the rear
  • one showing the second side of the vehicle, again clearly showing the number plate
  • one of the interior from front to back of the motorhome
  • one of the interior from the back to the front of the motorhome
  • one general photo of the overall interior conversion

Planning a long trip, you need a VISA 

If you are planning to go to Europe for more than 90 days in any one year and you require a visa we can also arrange the travel insurance which is one of the visa requirements, and you must produce proof of this cover with your visa application.

What type of Camper can be covered under the policy

  • Professional conversions
  • Hi tops, raised roof, fixed roof vans
  • Bespoke conversions
  • Self builds
  • Home built conversions
  • Classic campervans

What are the benefits buying a bespoke camper/motorhome insurance policy

  • 3 years new for old cover – subject to mileage being under 15,000 at the time
  • £5,000 personal effects cover on a motorhome, £1,000 on a campervan
  • Annual green card cover
  • Legal expenses
  • Full UK and EU breakdown cover with the AA
  • Unlimited windscreen cover
  • Full time cover available

Speak to an expert

If you have any queries or just want to find out more contact Caroline Lo-Giudice on

01282 452255 or

covid-19 pdf cover

The Guide to Risk Resilience During COVID-19

We’ve put together a handy guide to help give you some clarity during this uncertain time. Click the link below to access the guide as a free download and get in touch today to speak to one of our friendly advisors.

Would you like to call us or book a free meeting?